Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

It's not a baby...

So I guess its time to tell the story. 
I think I'm writing this more for me than anything, but now here it is for anyone wondering.

Cory and I have been hoping to have a baby. We've been "trying" for a few years, but it started getting especially frustrating last year. Failing pregnancy tests after missed (.)'s can only happen a handful of times before the emotional effects become intense. Remembering a time where a disappointing pee stick was lobbed angrily across my bathroom, which I then cleaned through tears and sobs.
Early this year, I offered up possibly the most sincere, pleading prayer of my life. I poured my heart out, imploring, begging the Lord for the chance to be a mother. 

A few weeks later, i finally achieved a positive pregnancy test. Cory and I hardly dared to believe it had finally happened. I was 9 weeks pregnant. The answer to my most heartfelt prayer to date was in my hand, and we were overwhelmed with gratitude and excitement. Finally.

One week later, after extremely severe cramping and heavy bleeding we found ourselves at our new OBGYN's office. The ultrasound screen was showing something very un-baby-like indeed.
We knew it was wrong before the doctor told us, and my heart broke in that moment.
It wasn't a baby. It was a tumor. Shaped like a bundle of grapes, filling up my uterus, making me sick, making me hurt, making me bleed. Betrayal. That's what I felt.
I was diagnosed with a rare Molar Pregnancy. (technical term: hydatidiform mole)

Two days later, at nearly 11 weeks gestation I had my first surgery ever. Unlike some miscarriages, a dilation and curettage procedure was required as soon as possible to remove the mass from my uterus, which otherwise would continue to grow and spread indefinitely.
Recovery was surprisingly long and painful (and bloody).
Molar pregnancies are potentially cancerous, so after some X-Rays and a biopsy of the molar tissue, we were grateful to learn that I do not have cancer (small victories), but that was arguably the most stressful waiting period of my life.

**Edit** I learned later that I was not in the clear at that time. September 18, (6 months after surgery) I tested negative for HCG, and only then were we certain that I was cancer-free. **

For 3 months I've been going in for weekly blood work to monitor my hormone levels as they normalize. Hopefully next week's blood test is my last...

And here we are. 

I can't begin to express the depth of our heartache. This has been extremely painful for both of us. Sometimes the loss of an expectation is a very merciless blow. I still can't talk about it without clamming up. My throat starts burning, my eyes start stinging... I never could have known how this feels without experiencing it. I've hesitated to write about it, because I have no desire to lay my most painful, sincere feelings out for everyone to judge, but I want to do them justice too. 
The feelings of inadequacy, failure, self-blame, anger, bitterness, hurt, disappointment, and loss are indescribable to those who haven't felt them this way. Sufficient to say, it hurts so deeply that even with great effort, it's hard to conceal my inner hurting.

The mindless comments are pretty bad too.

"Miscarriages are so common." - I can assure you that what I'm feeling seems ANYTHING but common, but thank you for making sure I know that my suffering is not valid.

"At least you know you can get pregnant." - Yes. I grew a tumor in my uterus. Totally reassuring as to my ability to grow a BABY. Thanks for that.

Last month I had the pleasure of enduring some careless comments, such as "You've been married 6 years and have no kids?!! (scoff) What have you been doing!!?" (hearty guffaws at my inadequacy ensued) Thanks. Appreciate the judgement. 

And Mother's day was Hell this year.

Anyway. That's all I feel like sharing for now. I'm still kind of an emotional mess, so excuse my curtness. At least now everyone can stop wondering why we have no kids. 

8 comments:

  1. I love you, and thank you for writing this. This sounds absolutely heart-wrenching, frustrating, and faith-testing. I can only imagine. I had a hard time getting pregnant for about a year before things worked for us, and I remember the awful emotions I went through, so hang in there, love. Cry all you want. You deserve it. *Virtual hug*! And... I'm sorry for the stupid people who pass judgments. Sometimes people just don't stop and think before they speak. Anyway, I appreciate your honesty and sincerity.

    Love, Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I actually haven't read your blog for probably over a year, I totally lost track of it and then tonight thought about it again. What are the odds that you would post today and would happen to think of you tonight? My heart goes out to you. I know that anything I say to you is not necessarily backed by experience but my heart truly aches for you. I know that everyone's journey to motherhood is different. I also know that everyone's journey THROUGH motherhood is different. As incredibly frustrating and emotionally taxing motherhood is for me, I know that your struggles could only be that much harder to bear. You are so strong. I only hope that your pain ends soon, answers are found, and your dreams of being a mom are granted. I know the strength you've gained through this whole experience will make you one tough mom, much tougher than I'll ever be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Jamie! I was so sad to read this. Having gone through a loss, the pain and heartache touches home. You are amazing!! Don't listen to anyone! People really say dumb things. I hope you are able to find some comfort and that soon you will be a mom of a stunning child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie I am so very sorry for all that you are going through. All your feelings and emotions are valid and don't let anyone make you think that you don't have the right to grieve. You can not blame yourself for this no matter what stupid comments people make. You are beautiful, smart, kind, warm, and wonderful and no matter what God's plan for you is, you will still always be all those things. My thoughts and prayers go out to both you and Cory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jamie!! I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been going through! You are an amazing woman, I wish you the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Jams! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I feel like a terrible friend. I can totally understand why you haven't felt the desire to share- but I think you did the right thing. You have so many people who carea about you and love you! You need the pick-me-ups! I apologize if I ever gave you the impression that I was judging you for not having kids. I for one, am not one to talk, but I know i've jumped to conclusions before and I hope you haven't taken offense to anything I've said. Of course I'd be happy for you, but i would never judge you or think little of you. I hope things get better for you, it's cliche but true. I feel awful for you. I can't imagine how difficult that must feel. Prayers are coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie. I am SO sorry. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. It really ended before it began. It was sad, and painful, but I heard a lot of the same statistics. When I got pregnant with Beth, and went in for my first ultrasound I was scared witless. I had similar spotting and cramping the 2nd time, so I feared the worst. And the ultrasound showed nothing. No baby. Luckily, a week later, our little Beth showed up on the ultrasound. But I was scared throughout my entire first trimester. I still don't know why I lost the first one. But I know that God has a plan for all of us. I hope you are rewarded for your faithfulness and desire to have a family. You deserve it so so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, all. I'm sorry I have not responded till now. Please understand that your comments meant so much to me. I've just had a much harder time coping with this than I expected. Even now (8 months later).
    You are wonderful ladies, and I have felt very privileged to feel so supported. :)

    ReplyDelete